Wednesday 10 September 2014

More Terrain - a Building!

Recently Norm Smith has released two Stalingrad scenarios and some "how to" articles on scenery building for Tigers at Minsk. As a result of this I realised that the buildings I showed in the previous post simply weren't going to cut the mustard, so I decided to do something about that.

Buying resin or laser cut mdf terrain is beyond my meager budget. Building it myself (as Norm did) would have been stretching my modeling abilities and somewhat time consuming. So I looked around for a quick, cheap alternative.

Enter Dave Graffam Models and his excellent range of papercraft buildings and terrain. For the almost unbelievable price of 91p I bought his "Snipers Wall" set.

What you get from DGM is a pdf with "layers" allowing you to customize the look of the building templates before you print them out. The standard size is tailored for 28 to 30mm scale but a handy shrink to scale chart is proved. To get "N" scale (or 10mm) required that I print with a 66% reduction I.E. the templates were reduced down to 34% of their original size.

Having printed, cut out, then glued together the model I stuck it down (using doubled sided tape) to a double sized hex template and textured the base. All this took about four hours spread over two days to allow for glue drying.

Here is the finished result:





2 comments:

  1. Oh - that looks nice. The scaling to 'N' scale is a brilliant idea. The colour is a perfect match for your 'winterisation' of your boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm, I agree. As soon as I saw the washed out grey brick effect layer on the pdf I knew it was going to fit right in. I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed making this hex terrain, it has been a very rewarding experience.

      My intention in the coming months is to try and build up an urban environment using printed buildings. But first I'm going to get a few games in so I can rally some of the chaps from my gaming group to the TaM flag.

      Delete